Friday, November 5, 2010

Friday November 5, 2010

I don't know why, but I awoke early this morning. I found her in the kitchen, just sitting there. "Are we out of milk upstairs?" I queried. It was the only explanation I could think of as to why she hadn't made her coffee.

"Yes."

"I'm sorry.   I'll run down and get some for you." As I step onto the first step, I nearly run into my daughter. She is carrying a gallon of milk. Apparently she'd already asked SB if she could get it.

I opened it for her, and took my hot water downstairs. I popped it into the microwave while I ran into the laundry room. I like to have my coffee first thing in the morning. I didn't want to rush her, so thought it would be easier and less stressful if I used the microwave downstairs while she was getting her coffee.

I tossed a load of laundry in the washer, then took my hot water upstairs for coffee. Always the efficient one, she told me she'd put the coffee & creamer away already. As I retrieved them, somehow she knocked her large mug over, spilling the hot contents on her robe, down the cabinets, and side of the oven, & onto the floor. She became extremely upset, with tears in her eyes. I told her it was fine, that I would clean it. I grabbed a towel, but she took it and tried to wipe the cabinets. Visibly shaken, I convinced her she needed to sit down before she lost her balance. I prepared her another cup of coffee, and told her to try to relax, and go sit in her warm, comfy chair while I cleaned up.

Several hours later, I noticed she was still in her room. I was surprised that she hadn't gone to play Bingo. She hadn't even gotten dressed. It was nearly 1:00p.m. Her son went in to check on her. When asked why she didn't play Bingo, she responded that the accident earlier had shook her up too much.

It was just a cup of coffee. I can't count how many times I've spilled an entire cup of coffee. (Usually while sitting at the computer. I've even ruined a keyboard before.) But she didn't seem to care. It shook her to the core.

No comments:

Post a Comment